Sunday, January 10, 2010

On Writing History

I wanted to give everyone a little update on my progress in writing a history of La Farge. "Slow, but steady" would be the most appropriate description, I suppose. I have about three of the book's chapters more or less completed. I think there will be six to nine chapters in all and at the rate that I am currently writing, it doesn't look like my self-imposed deadline to have the book out for this year's 4th of July may be in jeopardy. Some things have come up that slows the process. (And I'm not talking about the day-to-day types of things, such as shoveling snow, attending Badger men's basketball games at the Kohl Center, visiting the Rockton Bar to catch the local buzz and , an oldie but a goodie, procrastinating.)
One of the detriments to writing the history is that I'm still actively tied up in the research. Whether it's scanning the microfilm of old issues of the La Farge weekly newspapers or listening to tapes of oral history interviews, this research bug really has its grip on me. Good buddy Joe Porter, who has written a few history books himself, told me that at some point you have to say enough and start writing. I'm trying to do both and its a problem for me. I like the research better than the writing.
My research is all over the place as well. I'm currently looking at the 1960's and the school consolidation movement in Wisconsin (which really has an interesting long-term impact on the school in La Farge), the political maneuvers regarding the La Farge Dam Project in the 1970's and 80's (unbelievable swing of ideas and propositions from the Right & the Left on that stalled water-control project), and the 1914-20 era (the village has an intriguing story on the liquor license-no license or "dry vs. wet" debate that runs for decades). Interesting stuff, huh?
The writing of the book is not nearly so interesting. It takes discipline and work. Sit down and write for two hours every day. Easier said than done for me. Write and don't worry about mistakes, you can edit later. The English major in me keeps that from happening. If I keep getting bogged down in this writing process, perhaps adding "- An Unfinished History" to my title will be necessary (Actually, I like that idea.).
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment